|State-Funded Design and Engineering Services.|
Initiative Constitutional Amendment.
|Official Title and Summary prepared by the Attorney General|
|Full Text of
|STATE-FUNDED DESIGN AND ENGINEERING SERVICES.|
INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.
- Prohibits contracting where performance of work by civil service employees is less costly unless urgent need for contract.
- Prohibits contracts which Controller or awarding agency determines are against public interest, health, safety or where quality of work would be lower than civil service work.
- Contractors must indemnify state in suits related to performance of contracts.
- Requires defined competitive bidding of state-funded design and engineering contracts over $50,000, unless delay from bidding would endanger public health or safety.
- Provisions severable and should be harmonized with similar measures on subject.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's
Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
- Unknown impact on state and local government costs to obtain construction-related services. Impact would depend largely on factors included in the cost comparison analyses required by the proposition.
- Administrative costs to the State Controller--one-time costs of probably less than $500,000 and annual costs of up to $2 million.
Argument in Favor of Proposition 224
Rebuttal to Argument in Favor of Proposition 224
Argument Against Proposition 224
Rebuttal to Argument Against Proposition 224