|Political Contributions by Employees, Union|
Members, Foreign Entities. Initiative Statute.
|Official Title and Summary prepared by the Attorney General|
|Full Text of
|POLITICAL CONTRIBUTIONS BY EMPLOYEES, UNION|
MEMBERS, FOREIGN ENTITIES. INITIATIVE STATUTE.
- Requires all employers and labor organizations to obtain employee's or member's permission before withholding wages or using union dues or fees for political contributions. Employee's or member's permission is to be obtained annually using a prescribed form. Requires record keeping.
- Prohibits contributions to state and local candidates by residents, governments or entities of foreign countries.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's
Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
- Unknown, but probably not major, net state enforcement costs.
- Annual costs of up to about $2 million and one-time costs of $2 million to $5 million to the state for administration of employee payroll deductions for political activities; costs offset by fees.
- Unknown, but probably not major, costs to local governments for administration of employee payroll deductions for political activities; probably offset by fees.
Argument in Favor of Proposition 226
Rebuttal to Argument in Favor of Proposition 226
Argument Against Proposition 226
Rebuttal to Argument Against Proposition 226