|37||FEES. VOTE REQUIREMENTS. TAXES.|
|Official Title and Summary|
Official Title and Summary Prepared by the Attorney General
FEES. VOTE REQUIREMENTS. TAXES.
Initiative Constitutional Amendment.
– Requires two-thirds vote of State Legislature, or either majority or two-thirds of local electorate, to impose on any activity fees used to pay for monitoring, studying, or mitigating the environmental, societal or economic effects of that activity when the fees impose no regulatory obligation upon the payor.
– Redefines such fees as taxes.
– Excludes certain real property related fees, assessments and development fees.
– Excludes damages, penalties, or expenses recoverable from a specific event.
– Does not apply to fees enacted before July 1, 1999, or increased fees due to inflation or greater workload, as specified.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government
– Unknown, potentially significant, reduction in future state and local government revenues from making it more difficult to approve certain regulatory charges.
|Analysis by the Legislative Analyst|
|Argument in Favor of Proposition 37|
|Rebuttal to Argument in Favor of Proposition 37|
|Argument Against Proposition 37|
|Rebuttal to Argument Against Proposition 37|