Secretary of State      Elections      My Vote Counts      Feedback
Offical Voter Info Guide Cal Statewide March 2, 2004 Primary Election 10-7-2003
HomePropositionsRecall InformationVoter Informationblank
  Voter Information

Voter Bill of Rights

Decline to State Voters

Information on Political Parties

How to Contact County Elections Officials

How to Find Your Polling Place

Serve as a Pollworker

The Process of Voting Absentee

Have You Moved?

Easy Voter Guide

Dates to Remember

Candidate Statement Information

What is HAVA?



When you move to a new address, you should update your voter registration. This is important so that you can receive election information in the mail, and also to make sure you get to vote for all the appropriate candidates and measures.

However, if you move to a new address in the same county as your old address, and you have not updated your registration, there is a "fail-safe" law that says you can still vote.

To do so, you must go to the polling place appropriate for your new address. To find your polling place, see page 20 of this booklet.

Because your voter registration does not reflect your current address, your name will not be on the list of voters at the polling place but you can request a "provisional" ballot. This is just like a regular ballot, but it is inserted into a special envelope and will only be counted after the elections official checks to make sure you are properly registered to vote. Be sure to sign the envelope!

If you move to a new address in a different county than your old address, you must re-register to vote and the "fail-safe" process does not apply.

The last day to register to vote for the March 2, 2004, Presidential Primary Election is February 17, 2004.

(NOTE: If you moved to your new address after February 17th, you can return to your old polling place to vote.)


Back to Top

Graphic:  Silhouette of People
Copyright © 2004 California Secretary of State