California General Election


Official Voter Information Guide


Voter Registration

You are responsible for updating your voter registration information. You should update your voter registration if you change your home address, change your mailing address, change your name, or want to change or select a political party preference.

Note: If you moved to your new address after October 22, 2012, you may vote at your former polling place.

Registering to vote is simple and free. Registration forms are available online at and at most post offices, libraries, city and county government offices, and the California Secretary of State’s office.

To register to vote you must be a U.S. citizen, a California resident, at least 18 years of age on Election Day, not in prison or in county jail (serving a state prison sentence or serving a term of more than one year in jail for a defined “low-level” felony), or on parole, post-release community supervision, or post-sentencing probation for a felony conviction, and not judged by a court to be mentally incompetent.

© California Secretary of State