|| Analysis | Arguments and Rebuttals | Text of Proposed Laws
OFFICIAL TITLE AND SUMMARY
Prepared by the Attorney General
Tribal Gaming Compacts. Exclusive Gaming Rights. Contributions to State.
Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute.
- Upon request by federally-recognized Indian tribe, Governor must execute renewable 99-year gaming compact.
- Grants exclusive tribal gaming rights; no limits on number of machines, facilities, types of games on Indian land.
- Tribes contribute percentage of net gaming income, based on prevailing state corporate tax rate, to state fund.
- Contributions cease if non-tribal casino-type gaming is permitted.
- Contributions are in lieu of any other fees, taxes, levies.
- Requires off-reservation impact assessments, public notice/comment opportunities before significant expansion or construction of gaming facilities.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
- Unknown effect on payments to the state from Indian tribes. The potential increase or decrease in these payments could be in the tens of millions to over a hundred million dollars annually.
- Likely reduction in tribal payments to local governments, potentially totaling in the millions of dollars annually.